Wrist Pain Physiotherapy At Sydney Physio Clinic
Hand and wrist pain are common complaints seen in physiotherapist Sydney CBD clinics, there are many types of hand and wrist conditions causing pain, restricted movement or strength as well as affecting gripping, lifting and general function requiring wrist pain physiotherapy.
Sudden traumatic injury and overuse conditions as a result of repetitive stress can cause wrist and hand pain, as well as this certain medical conditions have an association with hand and wrist pain including diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, pregnancy…
A Complex Area Requiring Accurate Diagnosis
Your hand and wrist is a very complex area with the wrist alone being made up of eight small bones arranged in two rows articulating with each other and articulating with the two long bones of your forearm. As well as these joint articulations there is a network of ligaments and joint capsules connecting the bones to each other, tendons and nerves passing either side of the wrist and muscles in the hand itself. Strain or damage to any of these tissues can potentially cause pain and affect your ability to use your wrist or hand. As a result of there being multiple structures responsible for causing hand and wrist pain accurate diagnosis is crucial, physiotherapist Sydney CBD practitioners are highly trained in the assessment and management of hand and wrist pain.
Common Conditions Causing Hand And Wrist Pain
- Osteoarthritis: In general osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist isn’t particularly common however previous injury to the wrist such as a fracture following a fall can increase your risk of developing osteoarthritis, the base of the thumb more commonly suffers osteoarthritis.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Carpal tunnel syndrome is a common cause of wrist pain, often related to performing repetitive tasks with your hands such as typing, drawing, writing… As well this due to the build up of fluid in your wrist during pregnancy carpal tunnel syndrome is fairly common in the second and third trimesters.
- Ganglion Cysts: Ganglion cysts are benign soft tissue cysts sometimes symptomatic for causing pain in the wrist.
- De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis: De Quervains is caused by repetitive loading stress to the tendons of the thumb, causing pain at the base of the thumb.
- Scaphoid Fracture: Fractures of the wrist including a scaphoid and colles fracture are both common injuries, a scaphoid fracture involves a fracture to small bone on the thumb side of the wrist and a colles fracture is a fracture to the distal radius, the long bone on the thumb side of the forearm near the wrist typically caused by falls on to an outstretched arm and hand.
Management Of Hand And Wrist Pain By Physiotherapist Sydney CBD Practitioners
Depending on the cause, wrist pain physiotherapy as a result of a sudden impact like a fall or twisting injury compared with wrist pain as a result of overuse such as playing guitar, tennis, or lifting weights are managed differently, just as hand and wrist pain as a result of arthritic conditions like psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis will be managed differently again.
Treatment may require among other things taping, bracing, strengthening, stretching and mobilising of tissues… Sometimes ergonomic assessment of a work station or activity may be necessary, ergonomic assessment of tasks is especially topical with overuse injuries or for patients returning to work after a significant traumatic injury to the hand or wrist. Physiotherapist Sydney CBD clinics like Sydney Physio Clinic can help manage your hand and wrist pain whatever the cause.
Book A Physio Consultation Today
Get in touch with Sydney Physio Clinic for a treatment session with our knowledgeable physiotherapists at our Macquarie Street location in the heart of Sydney’s CBD