What Can I Do To Make Using Standing Desks More Comfortable?
Standing desks, used correctly, are just part of the solution towards better health but making sure each day you live has regular, low-intensity physical activity such as walking is the key to a long and healthy life. It’s not just about how much you sit or stand, but also the amount of low-level physical activity you do in a day.
Here are some tips for increasing your general activity in your work day and making standing desks more comfortable:
- Wear comfortable shoes. Have a pair of trainers at work that you can put on when training yourself to use a standing desk. Having a supportive pair of trainers on hand will prolong your ability to remain standing comfortably, support your feet and reduce some of the stress on your lower limb joints and soft tissues.
- Use a gel (or anti-fatigue) mat. Using such a mat just like a good pair of shoes will help support your feet and lessens pressure on the rest of your body.
- Correct your standing posture (and your sitting posture for that matter). It’s not just about how long you stand, but just as important is how you stand. Just as it’s easy to use a fit ball and sit on it poorly negating any of benefits of using the ball, this is also true for standing. It is very easy to stand poorly and reduce the postural and musculoskeletal systems benefit from standing over sitting by doing so. Make sure you hold your core tight and keep good alignment when using standing desks for best effect.
- Perform exercises regularly throughout the day. There is no doubt you may look like a bit of a goose doing air squats and calf raises regularly throughout the day at work but hey there’s nothing wrong with being a bit different. Air squats fall into the regular low intensity exercise category which is great for your health and is good way to break down fats in your body and improve the circulation in your legs. Calf raises are also a great way to help the circulation in your legs and get the muscle pump action going when in situations of prolonged standing.
- Start up walking meetings. Try and integrate the culture of having walking meetings at your office. Walking meetings are becoming more and more popular in modern workplace environments and if they aren’t already common place in your office then suggest it, they may just save your life (OK that’s a bit over the top but use for short meetings they positive move for your health).
- Talk to your colleagues face to face. Start doing things the old fashioned way again and how about getting up out of your seat and going to talk to your colleagues rather than sending them an email or calling them when you need to talk with them. Simple things like this and taking the stairs not the lift or escalator are all easy ways to break up those sedentary habits that have been proven to be a killer.
Disclaimer: Sydney Physio Clinic does not endorse any treatments, procedures, products mentioned. This information is provided as an educational service and is not intended to serve as medical advice. Anyone seeking specific advice or assistance on Making Standing Desks Work should consult his or her general practitioner or physiotherapist or otherwise appropriately skilled practitioner.