Common Causes Of Upper Back Pain Seen At Sydney Physio Clinic
Similar to the low back, the thoracic spine can suffer bulging and degenerative discs, pinched nerves, facet joint pain, and muscle pain. As well as these common causes, other upper back pain triggers include:
- Ankylosing spondylitis: Ankylosing spondylitis is a disease causing inflammation and pain in the spine, and other joints. Including the shoulder, hips, knees, ankles and between your sternum and ribs.
- Scheuermann’s Disease: Scheuermann’s Disease is a developmental disorder of the spine. Causing the abnormal growth of the thoracic vertebrae and often causes pain during adolescence, with variable structural changes in adulthood.
- Thoracic Spondylosis: Thoracic Spondylosis a form of arthritis in the spine. And is one of the most common causes of upper back pain and stiffness in those over fifty.
- Side Strain: Side strains causing thoracic region pain are common in fast bowlers in cricket. Specifically related to bowling speed, with the fastest bowlers being more likely to suffer this type of injury.
Manage Upper Back Pain Till You Get To Our Physiotherapists
Upper back pain can be debilitating. However there are a few things simple you can do to manage the pain until you can see your physiotherapist.
- Firstly, try to avoid sustained sitting for extended periods, and maintain supported posture when sitting.
- Consider using a heat patch, microwavable wheat bag and over-the-counter pain relievers to alleviate discomfort.
- Engage in gentle unweighted movement for the upper back, neck, and shoulders.
Book an appointment with our physios, so they can help guide you in how to manage your upper back pain. If the pain is unbearable before you can get in to see us, or worsens, seek immediate medical attention.
Upper Back Pain Physio Management
At Sydney Physio Clinic, our aim is to restore normal function. Improving strength and mobility in the thoracic spine as well as related areas as indicated. Upper back pain physio sessions consist of the assessment process, with the subsequent forming of a diagnosis and treatment plan. Treatment utilizes a combination of techniques to achieve both a reduction in pain, and increase function. As previously stated, although upper back pain is not as common as low back pain and neck pain. Each year at Sydney Physio Clinic we treat a substantial number of patients complaining of upper back pain. Pain as a result of a variety of triggers including overuse, poor posture, unaccustomed activity, or injury. Caught early, upper back pain physio treatment can be a successful way to manage thoracic complaints of musculoskeletal origin.
Book an appointment with a leading physiotherapist in Sydney CBD today.!
Get in touch with Sydney Physio Clinic for a treatment session with our knowledgeable physiotherapists at our Macquarie Street location in the heart of Sydney CBD